Monday's Blocking Donimoes ProblemKlotski Puzzle 1Arranging all the DominosFifteen Puzzle: Finding InvariantsPuzzle similar to 15-puzzle but more moveable pieces?15 Tiles Sliding BlockSanta's Sacks and the Puzzling PresentsA puzzle with dominoesBarrel - Part 2Barrel - Part 4Barrel - Part 5
Found more old paper shares from broken up companies
Acoustic guitar chords' positions vs those of a Bass guitar
Cargo capacity of a kayak
Count the identical pairs in two lists
Is it better to have a 10 year gap or a bad reference?
How much did NASA help with the making of "First Man"?
Excluding specific string grep is also including similar strings
What does the following chess proverb mean: "Chess is a sea where a gnat may drink from and an elephant may bathe in."
Why is the UH-60 tail rotor canted?
Found old paper shares of Motorola Inc that has since been broken up
1025th term of the given sequence.
My current job follows "worst practices". How can I talk about my experience in an interview without giving off red flags?
Is there an English word to describe when a sound "protrudes"?
Did Don Young threaten John Boehner with a 10 inch blade to the throat?
Why is there an extra "t" in Lemmatization?
Can a creature sustain itself by eating its own severed body parts?
How can I remove studs and screws from the inside of drywall when installing a pocket door without needing to do paint and patch work on both sides?
Why does airflow separate from the wing during stall?
"It is what it is"
My guitar strings go loose when I tighten them?
What is the metal bit in the front of this propeller spinner?
Stellen - Putting, or putting away?
Piece of fabric in planter, how to use it?
Magic is the twist
Monday's Blocking Donimoes Problem
Klotski Puzzle 1Arranging all the DominosFifteen Puzzle: Finding InvariantsPuzzle similar to 15-puzzle but more moveable pieces?15 Tiles Sliding BlockSanta's Sacks and the Puzzling PresentsA puzzle with dominoesBarrel - Part 2Barrel - Part 4Barrel - Part 5
.everyoneloves__top-leaderboard:empty,.everyoneloves__mid-leaderboard:empty,.everyoneloves__bot-mid-leaderboard:empty margin-bottom:0;
$begingroup$
I've designed a set of dominoes puzzles that I call Donimoes. You slide the
dominoes like the cars in Nob Yoshigahara's Rush Hour puzzle, always along
their long axis.
The Blocking Puzzle's Goal
The goal is to slide all the dominoes into a rectangle, without sliding any
matching numbers next to each other.
Moves
Move a domino one space along its long axis so that none of its numbers match
an adjacent number on a neighbouring domino. In this example, the lower domino
can move to the right, because the three doesn't match the two, and the four
doesn't match the 3. You couldn't move it another space to the right, because
then the threes would be right next to each other.

Stay Connected
All the dominoes in the puzzle have to be connected in one solid group, diagonal
connections don't count. When you move a domino, it can be disconnected during
the move, as long as it is connected at the start and the end of the move.
Remember that it can only move one space at a time, though.
Example Problem
Here's a small example problem:

Find a set of dominoes, set them up to match the diagram, and then slide them into a rectangular shape.
If you need help, here's the solution:
You can write that solution using this notation:
01D, 12R, 12R, 12R, 01U, 60U
For each step, move the listed domino left, right, up, or down.
Today's Problem
Now here's a more challenging problem for you to solve. Post your solution as
an answer.

If you like this puzzle, watch for new problems every day this week.
sliding-blocks dominoes
$endgroup$
|
show 2 more comments
$begingroup$
I've designed a set of dominoes puzzles that I call Donimoes. You slide the
dominoes like the cars in Nob Yoshigahara's Rush Hour puzzle, always along
their long axis.
The Blocking Puzzle's Goal
The goal is to slide all the dominoes into a rectangle, without sliding any
matching numbers next to each other.
Moves
Move a domino one space along its long axis so that none of its numbers match
an adjacent number on a neighbouring domino. In this example, the lower domino
can move to the right, because the three doesn't match the two, and the four
doesn't match the 3. You couldn't move it another space to the right, because
then the threes would be right next to each other.

Stay Connected
All the dominoes in the puzzle have to be connected in one solid group, diagonal
connections don't count. When you move a domino, it can be disconnected during
the move, as long as it is connected at the start and the end of the move.
Remember that it can only move one space at a time, though.
Example Problem
Here's a small example problem:

Find a set of dominoes, set them up to match the diagram, and then slide them into a rectangular shape.
If you need help, here's the solution:
You can write that solution using this notation:
01D, 12R, 12R, 12R, 01U, 60U
For each step, move the listed domino left, right, up, or down.
Today's Problem
Now here's a more challenging problem for you to solve. Post your solution as
an answer.

If you like this puzzle, watch for new problems every day this week.
sliding-blocks dominoes
$endgroup$
$begingroup$
Am I right in assuming that 24D and 24U are both invalid first moves because 24D would pair the 2's and 24U would disconnect?
$endgroup$
– LeppyR64
8 hours ago
$begingroup$
@LeppyR64 i think so
$endgroup$
– Omega Krypton
8 hours ago
1
$begingroup$
Fun puzzle. Just a word about etiquette: we're a bit cautious about self-promotion (or indeed other-promotion) around here; see this Meta post for some guidelines. Strictly, encouraging readers here to visit your website is off-limits, but I don't propose to make a fuss about it on this occasion:-).
$endgroup$
– Gareth McCaughan♦
8 hours ago
$begingroup$
Wish I could upvote this twice - love the Rush Hour games, and this adds a whole other dimension to it! Man, I'm gonna lose so much time looking through more of these...
$endgroup$
– Stiv
8 hours ago
$begingroup$
@LeppyR64 that's right.
$endgroup$
– Don Kirkby
8 hours ago
|
show 2 more comments
$begingroup$
I've designed a set of dominoes puzzles that I call Donimoes. You slide the
dominoes like the cars in Nob Yoshigahara's Rush Hour puzzle, always along
their long axis.
The Blocking Puzzle's Goal
The goal is to slide all the dominoes into a rectangle, without sliding any
matching numbers next to each other.
Moves
Move a domino one space along its long axis so that none of its numbers match
an adjacent number on a neighbouring domino. In this example, the lower domino
can move to the right, because the three doesn't match the two, and the four
doesn't match the 3. You couldn't move it another space to the right, because
then the threes would be right next to each other.

Stay Connected
All the dominoes in the puzzle have to be connected in one solid group, diagonal
connections don't count. When you move a domino, it can be disconnected during
the move, as long as it is connected at the start and the end of the move.
Remember that it can only move one space at a time, though.
Example Problem
Here's a small example problem:

Find a set of dominoes, set them up to match the diagram, and then slide them into a rectangular shape.
If you need help, here's the solution:
You can write that solution using this notation:
01D, 12R, 12R, 12R, 01U, 60U
For each step, move the listed domino left, right, up, or down.
Today's Problem
Now here's a more challenging problem for you to solve. Post your solution as
an answer.

If you like this puzzle, watch for new problems every day this week.
sliding-blocks dominoes
$endgroup$
I've designed a set of dominoes puzzles that I call Donimoes. You slide the
dominoes like the cars in Nob Yoshigahara's Rush Hour puzzle, always along
their long axis.
The Blocking Puzzle's Goal
The goal is to slide all the dominoes into a rectangle, without sliding any
matching numbers next to each other.
Moves
Move a domino one space along its long axis so that none of its numbers match
an adjacent number on a neighbouring domino. In this example, the lower domino
can move to the right, because the three doesn't match the two, and the four
doesn't match the 3. You couldn't move it another space to the right, because
then the threes would be right next to each other.

Stay Connected
All the dominoes in the puzzle have to be connected in one solid group, diagonal
connections don't count. When you move a domino, it can be disconnected during
the move, as long as it is connected at the start and the end of the move.
Remember that it can only move one space at a time, though.
Example Problem
Here's a small example problem:

Find a set of dominoes, set them up to match the diagram, and then slide them into a rectangular shape.
If you need help, here's the solution:
You can write that solution using this notation:
01D, 12R, 12R, 12R, 01U, 60U
For each step, move the listed domino left, right, up, or down.
Today's Problem
Now here's a more challenging problem for you to solve. Post your solution as
an answer.

If you like this puzzle, watch for new problems every day this week.
sliding-blocks dominoes
sliding-blocks dominoes
edited 6 hours ago
Omega Krypton
11.3k2 gold badges13 silver badges83 bronze badges
11.3k2 gold badges13 silver badges83 bronze badges
asked 9 hours ago
Don KirkbyDon Kirkby
5084 silver badges11 bronze badges
5084 silver badges11 bronze badges
$begingroup$
Am I right in assuming that 24D and 24U are both invalid first moves because 24D would pair the 2's and 24U would disconnect?
$endgroup$
– LeppyR64
8 hours ago
$begingroup$
@LeppyR64 i think so
$endgroup$
– Omega Krypton
8 hours ago
1
$begingroup$
Fun puzzle. Just a word about etiquette: we're a bit cautious about self-promotion (or indeed other-promotion) around here; see this Meta post for some guidelines. Strictly, encouraging readers here to visit your website is off-limits, but I don't propose to make a fuss about it on this occasion:-).
$endgroup$
– Gareth McCaughan♦
8 hours ago
$begingroup$
Wish I could upvote this twice - love the Rush Hour games, and this adds a whole other dimension to it! Man, I'm gonna lose so much time looking through more of these...
$endgroup$
– Stiv
8 hours ago
$begingroup$
@LeppyR64 that's right.
$endgroup$
– Don Kirkby
8 hours ago
|
show 2 more comments
$begingroup$
Am I right in assuming that 24D and 24U are both invalid first moves because 24D would pair the 2's and 24U would disconnect?
$endgroup$
– LeppyR64
8 hours ago
$begingroup$
@LeppyR64 i think so
$endgroup$
– Omega Krypton
8 hours ago
1
$begingroup$
Fun puzzle. Just a word about etiquette: we're a bit cautious about self-promotion (or indeed other-promotion) around here; see this Meta post for some guidelines. Strictly, encouraging readers here to visit your website is off-limits, but I don't propose to make a fuss about it on this occasion:-).
$endgroup$
– Gareth McCaughan♦
8 hours ago
$begingroup$
Wish I could upvote this twice - love the Rush Hour games, and this adds a whole other dimension to it! Man, I'm gonna lose so much time looking through more of these...
$endgroup$
– Stiv
8 hours ago
$begingroup$
@LeppyR64 that's right.
$endgroup$
– Don Kirkby
8 hours ago
$begingroup$
Am I right in assuming that 24D and 24U are both invalid first moves because 24D would pair the 2's and 24U would disconnect?
$endgroup$
– LeppyR64
8 hours ago
$begingroup$
Am I right in assuming that 24D and 24U are both invalid first moves because 24D would pair the 2's and 24U would disconnect?
$endgroup$
– LeppyR64
8 hours ago
$begingroup$
@LeppyR64 i think so
$endgroup$
– Omega Krypton
8 hours ago
$begingroup$
@LeppyR64 i think so
$endgroup$
– Omega Krypton
8 hours ago
1
1
$begingroup$
Fun puzzle. Just a word about etiquette: we're a bit cautious about self-promotion (or indeed other-promotion) around here; see this Meta post for some guidelines. Strictly, encouraging readers here to visit your website is off-limits, but I don't propose to make a fuss about it on this occasion:-).
$endgroup$
– Gareth McCaughan♦
8 hours ago
$begingroup$
Fun puzzle. Just a word about etiquette: we're a bit cautious about self-promotion (or indeed other-promotion) around here; see this Meta post for some guidelines. Strictly, encouraging readers here to visit your website is off-limits, but I don't propose to make a fuss about it on this occasion:-).
$endgroup$
– Gareth McCaughan♦
8 hours ago
$begingroup$
Wish I could upvote this twice - love the Rush Hour games, and this adds a whole other dimension to it! Man, I'm gonna lose so much time looking through more of these...
$endgroup$
– Stiv
8 hours ago
$begingroup$
Wish I could upvote this twice - love the Rush Hour games, and this adds a whole other dimension to it! Man, I'm gonna lose so much time looking through more of these...
$endgroup$
– Stiv
8 hours ago
$begingroup$
@LeppyR64 that's right.
$endgroup$
– Don Kirkby
8 hours ago
$begingroup$
@LeppyR64 that's right.
$endgroup$
– Don Kirkby
8 hours ago
|
show 2 more comments
2 Answers
2
active
oldest
votes
$begingroup$
Since the 'donimoes' are limited to moving along their long axis, I believe this can be done in 12 moves as follows:
32L 32L 24U 10L 02U 10L 10L 10L 02D 24D 25L 32L
Visually:
$endgroup$
add a comment |
$begingroup$
Wrong answer
[EDITED to add:] As Stiv kindly points out in comments, this is a non-solution because I broke one of the rules. Or maybe, as LeppyR64 kindly points out in comments, I just failed to note that I was moving things multiple times, in which case ... it's identical to Stiv's already-posted solution. either way, I'm a twit. I'm leaving it here because I find it healthy to look like an idiot when I have been an idiot. I might delete it later.
I have a solution in
nine moves
as follows:
32 left
24 up
10 left
02 up
10 left
02 down
24 down
25 left
32 left
with this final configuration:
$endgroup$
1
$begingroup$
But then your second move breaks the 'Stay connected' rule since 'diagonal connections don't count'... The 10/32 block ends up separated from the rest...
$endgroup$
– Stiv
8 hours ago
$begingroup$
Yow, so it does. I thought I'd checked for that, but obviously not. Good catch.
$endgroup$
– Gareth McCaughan♦
8 hours ago
$begingroup$
Got me a few times too! I have a solution in 12 but not sure if it can be done in fewer...
$endgroup$
– Stiv
8 hours ago
$begingroup$
Are these not the same solutions except Gareth's solution compresses duplicate 1-space moves into one move? Stiv has 32L 32L where Gareth has 32 L. Stiv has 10L 10L 10L where Gareth has 10L.
$endgroup$
– LeppyR64
8 hours ago
1
$begingroup$
Ah, but maybe -- of course I can't remember now -- I actually intended my "32 left" to mean moving it left twice, in which case rather than being bad because it's invalid my solution was bad because it duplicated an existing one. (I just noticed that the numbers of moves were substantially different and didn't check what Stiv's actual moves were. My bad.)
$endgroup$
– Gareth McCaughan♦
8 hours ago
|
show 1 more comment
Your Answer
StackExchange.ready(function()
var channelOptions =
tags: "".split(" "),
id: "559"
;
initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);
StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
// Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
createEditor();
);
else
createEditor();
);
function createEditor()
StackExchange.prepareEditor(
heartbeatType: 'answer',
autoActivateHeartbeat: false,
convertImagesToLinks: false,
noModals: true,
showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
reputationToPostImages: null,
bindNavPrevention: true,
postfix: "",
imageUploader:
brandingHtml: "Powered by u003ca class="icon-imgur-white" href="https://imgur.com/"u003eu003c/au003e",
contentPolicyHtml: "User contributions licensed under u003ca href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/"u003ecc by-sa 3.0 with attribution requiredu003c/au003e u003ca href="https://stackoverflow.com/legal/content-policy"u003e(content policy)u003c/au003e",
allowUrls: true
,
noCode: true, onDemand: true,
discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
);
);
Sign up or log in
StackExchange.ready(function ()
StackExchange.helpers.onClickDraftSave('#login-link');
);
Sign up using Google
Sign up using Facebook
Sign up using Email and Password
Post as a guest
Required, but never shown
StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fpuzzling.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f86423%2fmondays-blocking-donimoes-problem%23new-answer', 'question_page');
);
Post as a guest
Required, but never shown
2 Answers
2
active
oldest
votes
2 Answers
2
active
oldest
votes
active
oldest
votes
active
oldest
votes
$begingroup$
Since the 'donimoes' are limited to moving along their long axis, I believe this can be done in 12 moves as follows:
32L 32L 24U 10L 02U 10L 10L 10L 02D 24D 25L 32L
Visually:
$endgroup$
add a comment |
$begingroup$
Since the 'donimoes' are limited to moving along their long axis, I believe this can be done in 12 moves as follows:
32L 32L 24U 10L 02U 10L 10L 10L 02D 24D 25L 32L
Visually:
$endgroup$
add a comment |
$begingroup$
Since the 'donimoes' are limited to moving along their long axis, I believe this can be done in 12 moves as follows:
32L 32L 24U 10L 02U 10L 10L 10L 02D 24D 25L 32L
Visually:
$endgroup$
Since the 'donimoes' are limited to moving along their long axis, I believe this can be done in 12 moves as follows:
32L 32L 24U 10L 02U 10L 10L 10L 02D 24D 25L 32L
Visually:
answered 8 hours ago
StivStiv
2,2026 silver badges27 bronze badges
2,2026 silver badges27 bronze badges
add a comment |
add a comment |
$begingroup$
Wrong answer
[EDITED to add:] As Stiv kindly points out in comments, this is a non-solution because I broke one of the rules. Or maybe, as LeppyR64 kindly points out in comments, I just failed to note that I was moving things multiple times, in which case ... it's identical to Stiv's already-posted solution. either way, I'm a twit. I'm leaving it here because I find it healthy to look like an idiot when I have been an idiot. I might delete it later.
I have a solution in
nine moves
as follows:
32 left
24 up
10 left
02 up
10 left
02 down
24 down
25 left
32 left
with this final configuration:
$endgroup$
1
$begingroup$
But then your second move breaks the 'Stay connected' rule since 'diagonal connections don't count'... The 10/32 block ends up separated from the rest...
$endgroup$
– Stiv
8 hours ago
$begingroup$
Yow, so it does. I thought I'd checked for that, but obviously not. Good catch.
$endgroup$
– Gareth McCaughan♦
8 hours ago
$begingroup$
Got me a few times too! I have a solution in 12 but not sure if it can be done in fewer...
$endgroup$
– Stiv
8 hours ago
$begingroup$
Are these not the same solutions except Gareth's solution compresses duplicate 1-space moves into one move? Stiv has 32L 32L where Gareth has 32 L. Stiv has 10L 10L 10L where Gareth has 10L.
$endgroup$
– LeppyR64
8 hours ago
1
$begingroup$
Ah, but maybe -- of course I can't remember now -- I actually intended my "32 left" to mean moving it left twice, in which case rather than being bad because it's invalid my solution was bad because it duplicated an existing one. (I just noticed that the numbers of moves were substantially different and didn't check what Stiv's actual moves were. My bad.)
$endgroup$
– Gareth McCaughan♦
8 hours ago
|
show 1 more comment
$begingroup$
Wrong answer
[EDITED to add:] As Stiv kindly points out in comments, this is a non-solution because I broke one of the rules. Or maybe, as LeppyR64 kindly points out in comments, I just failed to note that I was moving things multiple times, in which case ... it's identical to Stiv's already-posted solution. either way, I'm a twit. I'm leaving it here because I find it healthy to look like an idiot when I have been an idiot. I might delete it later.
I have a solution in
nine moves
as follows:
32 left
24 up
10 left
02 up
10 left
02 down
24 down
25 left
32 left
with this final configuration:
$endgroup$
1
$begingroup$
But then your second move breaks the 'Stay connected' rule since 'diagonal connections don't count'... The 10/32 block ends up separated from the rest...
$endgroup$
– Stiv
8 hours ago
$begingroup$
Yow, so it does. I thought I'd checked for that, but obviously not. Good catch.
$endgroup$
– Gareth McCaughan♦
8 hours ago
$begingroup$
Got me a few times too! I have a solution in 12 but not sure if it can be done in fewer...
$endgroup$
– Stiv
8 hours ago
$begingroup$
Are these not the same solutions except Gareth's solution compresses duplicate 1-space moves into one move? Stiv has 32L 32L where Gareth has 32 L. Stiv has 10L 10L 10L where Gareth has 10L.
$endgroup$
– LeppyR64
8 hours ago
1
$begingroup$
Ah, but maybe -- of course I can't remember now -- I actually intended my "32 left" to mean moving it left twice, in which case rather than being bad because it's invalid my solution was bad because it duplicated an existing one. (I just noticed that the numbers of moves were substantially different and didn't check what Stiv's actual moves were. My bad.)
$endgroup$
– Gareth McCaughan♦
8 hours ago
|
show 1 more comment
$begingroup$
Wrong answer
[EDITED to add:] As Stiv kindly points out in comments, this is a non-solution because I broke one of the rules. Or maybe, as LeppyR64 kindly points out in comments, I just failed to note that I was moving things multiple times, in which case ... it's identical to Stiv's already-posted solution. either way, I'm a twit. I'm leaving it here because I find it healthy to look like an idiot when I have been an idiot. I might delete it later.
I have a solution in
nine moves
as follows:
32 left
24 up
10 left
02 up
10 left
02 down
24 down
25 left
32 left
with this final configuration:
$endgroup$
Wrong answer
[EDITED to add:] As Stiv kindly points out in comments, this is a non-solution because I broke one of the rules. Or maybe, as LeppyR64 kindly points out in comments, I just failed to note that I was moving things multiple times, in which case ... it's identical to Stiv's already-posted solution. either way, I'm a twit. I'm leaving it here because I find it healthy to look like an idiot when I have been an idiot. I might delete it later.
I have a solution in
nine moves
as follows:
32 left
24 up
10 left
02 up
10 left
02 down
24 down
25 left
32 left
with this final configuration:
edited 8 hours ago
answered 8 hours ago
Gareth McCaughan♦Gareth McCaughan
77.7k3 gold badges194 silver badges299 bronze badges
77.7k3 gold badges194 silver badges299 bronze badges
1
$begingroup$
But then your second move breaks the 'Stay connected' rule since 'diagonal connections don't count'... The 10/32 block ends up separated from the rest...
$endgroup$
– Stiv
8 hours ago
$begingroup$
Yow, so it does. I thought I'd checked for that, but obviously not. Good catch.
$endgroup$
– Gareth McCaughan♦
8 hours ago
$begingroup$
Got me a few times too! I have a solution in 12 but not sure if it can be done in fewer...
$endgroup$
– Stiv
8 hours ago
$begingroup$
Are these not the same solutions except Gareth's solution compresses duplicate 1-space moves into one move? Stiv has 32L 32L where Gareth has 32 L. Stiv has 10L 10L 10L where Gareth has 10L.
$endgroup$
– LeppyR64
8 hours ago
1
$begingroup$
Ah, but maybe -- of course I can't remember now -- I actually intended my "32 left" to mean moving it left twice, in which case rather than being bad because it's invalid my solution was bad because it duplicated an existing one. (I just noticed that the numbers of moves were substantially different and didn't check what Stiv's actual moves were. My bad.)
$endgroup$
– Gareth McCaughan♦
8 hours ago
|
show 1 more comment
1
$begingroup$
But then your second move breaks the 'Stay connected' rule since 'diagonal connections don't count'... The 10/32 block ends up separated from the rest...
$endgroup$
– Stiv
8 hours ago
$begingroup$
Yow, so it does. I thought I'd checked for that, but obviously not. Good catch.
$endgroup$
– Gareth McCaughan♦
8 hours ago
$begingroup$
Got me a few times too! I have a solution in 12 but not sure if it can be done in fewer...
$endgroup$
– Stiv
8 hours ago
$begingroup$
Are these not the same solutions except Gareth's solution compresses duplicate 1-space moves into one move? Stiv has 32L 32L where Gareth has 32 L. Stiv has 10L 10L 10L where Gareth has 10L.
$endgroup$
– LeppyR64
8 hours ago
1
$begingroup$
Ah, but maybe -- of course I can't remember now -- I actually intended my "32 left" to mean moving it left twice, in which case rather than being bad because it's invalid my solution was bad because it duplicated an existing one. (I just noticed that the numbers of moves were substantially different and didn't check what Stiv's actual moves were. My bad.)
$endgroup$
– Gareth McCaughan♦
8 hours ago
1
1
$begingroup$
But then your second move breaks the 'Stay connected' rule since 'diagonal connections don't count'... The 10/32 block ends up separated from the rest...
$endgroup$
– Stiv
8 hours ago
$begingroup$
But then your second move breaks the 'Stay connected' rule since 'diagonal connections don't count'... The 10/32 block ends up separated from the rest...
$endgroup$
– Stiv
8 hours ago
$begingroup$
Yow, so it does. I thought I'd checked for that, but obviously not. Good catch.
$endgroup$
– Gareth McCaughan♦
8 hours ago
$begingroup$
Yow, so it does. I thought I'd checked for that, but obviously not. Good catch.
$endgroup$
– Gareth McCaughan♦
8 hours ago
$begingroup$
Got me a few times too! I have a solution in 12 but not sure if it can be done in fewer...
$endgroup$
– Stiv
8 hours ago
$begingroup$
Got me a few times too! I have a solution in 12 but not sure if it can be done in fewer...
$endgroup$
– Stiv
8 hours ago
$begingroup$
Are these not the same solutions except Gareth's solution compresses duplicate 1-space moves into one move? Stiv has 32L 32L where Gareth has 32 L. Stiv has 10L 10L 10L where Gareth has 10L.
$endgroup$
– LeppyR64
8 hours ago
$begingroup$
Are these not the same solutions except Gareth's solution compresses duplicate 1-space moves into one move? Stiv has 32L 32L where Gareth has 32 L. Stiv has 10L 10L 10L where Gareth has 10L.
$endgroup$
– LeppyR64
8 hours ago
1
1
$begingroup$
Ah, but maybe -- of course I can't remember now -- I actually intended my "32 left" to mean moving it left twice, in which case rather than being bad because it's invalid my solution was bad because it duplicated an existing one. (I just noticed that the numbers of moves were substantially different and didn't check what Stiv's actual moves were. My bad.)
$endgroup$
– Gareth McCaughan♦
8 hours ago
$begingroup$
Ah, but maybe -- of course I can't remember now -- I actually intended my "32 left" to mean moving it left twice, in which case rather than being bad because it's invalid my solution was bad because it duplicated an existing one. (I just noticed that the numbers of moves were substantially different and didn't check what Stiv's actual moves were. My bad.)
$endgroup$
– Gareth McCaughan♦
8 hours ago
|
show 1 more comment
Thanks for contributing an answer to Puzzling Stack Exchange!
- Please be sure to answer the question. Provide details and share your research!
But avoid …
- Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.
- Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience.
Use MathJax to format equations. MathJax reference.
To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.
Sign up or log in
StackExchange.ready(function ()
StackExchange.helpers.onClickDraftSave('#login-link');
);
Sign up using Google
Sign up using Facebook
Sign up using Email and Password
Post as a guest
Required, but never shown
StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fpuzzling.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f86423%2fmondays-blocking-donimoes-problem%23new-answer', 'question_page');
);
Post as a guest
Required, but never shown
Sign up or log in
StackExchange.ready(function ()
StackExchange.helpers.onClickDraftSave('#login-link');
);
Sign up using Google
Sign up using Facebook
Sign up using Email and Password
Post as a guest
Required, but never shown
Sign up or log in
StackExchange.ready(function ()
StackExchange.helpers.onClickDraftSave('#login-link');
);
Sign up using Google
Sign up using Facebook
Sign up using Email and Password
Post as a guest
Required, but never shown
Sign up or log in
StackExchange.ready(function ()
StackExchange.helpers.onClickDraftSave('#login-link');
);
Sign up using Google
Sign up using Facebook
Sign up using Email and Password
Sign up using Google
Sign up using Facebook
Sign up using Email and Password
Post as a guest
Required, but never shown
Required, but never shown
Required, but never shown
Required, but never shown
Required, but never shown
Required, but never shown
Required, but never shown
Required, but never shown
Required, but never shown



$begingroup$
Am I right in assuming that 24D and 24U are both invalid first moves because 24D would pair the 2's and 24U would disconnect?
$endgroup$
– LeppyR64
8 hours ago
$begingroup$
@LeppyR64 i think so
$endgroup$
– Omega Krypton
8 hours ago
1
$begingroup$
Fun puzzle. Just a word about etiquette: we're a bit cautious about self-promotion (or indeed other-promotion) around here; see this Meta post for some guidelines. Strictly, encouraging readers here to visit your website is off-limits, but I don't propose to make a fuss about it on this occasion:-).
$endgroup$
– Gareth McCaughan♦
8 hours ago
$begingroup$
Wish I could upvote this twice - love the Rush Hour games, and this adds a whole other dimension to it! Man, I'm gonna lose so much time looking through more of these...
$endgroup$
– Stiv
8 hours ago
$begingroup$
@LeppyR64 that's right.
$endgroup$
– Don Kirkby
8 hours ago